Many of us are at a loss when it comes to expressing our condolences. Sympathy flowers are a natural and comforting way to express our feeling of loss while comforting others. At some point in our lives, we will be faced with the need to order funeral flowers.
Fortunately Debra Kerr-Hunter of Eden Garden Center & Florist has a few simple steps and tips that will make the process of ordering funeral flowers easier.
How To Order Sympathy Flowers
KNOW THE DETAILS – Before you order flowers for a funeral, you will need to know the name of the deceased and the location and date of the funeral. This information can be obtained from an obituary listing, a friend or family member, or from funeral homes in the area. Have all the information written down and within reach before you call.
SET A BUDGET – This can be difficult if you don’t know how much the florist charges. Here are some things to consider.
- How many people are going in on the arrangement? If there are 5 people, you might each contribute $10 or $20.
- How well did you know the deceased? If it was a relative, your floral sentiment might be more generous.
- What is the minimum order amount? Wire services and most florists have a minimum amount on a phone order. If it’s a local funeral and you walk into the florist, there may not be a minimum, however.
- Basket and container arrangements usually begin at $30 – $40, and can run as high as $120 – $150 depending on the size of the arrangement and types of flowers used.
- Standing sprays, wreaths and crosses are much more expensive, starting at around $100 – $130, and running as high as $250 – $400 again, depending on the blooms used.
- Plant gifts usually start around $30 and run up to around $75 at a high end.